Monday 11 June 2012

Assignment 2- A Cardboard City Day 5- the twist!

On the final day of the cardboard city social event there was a rather large and destructive twist to proceedings. The city was destroyed! I knew this would happen but nonetheless it was quite sad to see all the children within 5 minutes destroy a city they'd helped to build over 5 days. On the other hand it made for some interesting photographs and I was less melancholy after documenting some of the destruction!

10.
   I had to be quick and decisive in order to get some 'action' shots of the children but in the end I was quite spoilt for choice, which picture I would select for my final one for the assignment. Eventually I decided in a close and involved wide-angle photo- with a low camera-angle for further effect. I had been becoming more and more accustomed to taking these type shots ever since the project I learned about them in (Close and involved). I thought this told a story well- stand-alone and in combination with other photos. It worked as a stand-alone picture because the boy was clearly in a cardboard-filled place and was concentrating on doing something to the cardboard. I thought it worked even better in combination with the other photographs for the assignment because the cardboard was flat on the floor again, similar to the first photograph of the series. This meant the viewer could infer that the children (standing over the cardboard) had built and destroyed the city through looking at the photos in sequence.

   As far as lighting was concerned I decided to use bounce-flash on the ceiling of the room to make sure the children and the cardboard were well-lit. Another reason was to reflect the change in emphasis from completely natural lighting used in the first couple of selected shots. While the natural lighting in those first shots (admittedly inadvertantly) created an air of mild expectancy in the first couple of shots, the change to flash lighting for the duration of the rest of the event for me depicted more purpose and in this last shot openness.

No comments:

Post a Comment