Tuesday 24 July 2012

A take on colourful Covent Garden - Assignment 3, Buildings in Use Part 2

1. A 'chained' performer inside the square



As I mentioned in my research for photographing Covent Garden, it used to be a food market but was now famous mainly for tourism in the form of merchandise and entertainment. I thought the interior of the market was very colourful and lively from the performers to the clothes stalls and this wasn't an exception in the outer square as you could see in photograph 4.
2. Perusing a clothes stall

   From a building in use point of view I felt it succeeded for two main reasons. Firstly, all of the square was full of different choices in food, crafts and clothes as well as performers including musicians. This allowed the tourists and other visitors to explore and pick what they wanted to purchase easily. Secondly, the arrangement of the inner square the market and the outer square was easy to navigate from my point of view, which complemented the vast array of choice.

   The important features of the building for me were the pillars, which showed the history of the building, the glass roof over the top of the main square/'Apple Market', the open central square and the very colourful market. I tried to incorporate these features into my photos, sometimes in combination with another feature. For example with photograph 3. I showed the vast space of the square with the glass roof overhead.
3. Overlooking the square and its music

   I was quite insistent on including people for this building because I felt they were so key to making the building seem so vibrant, especially the performers.

4. The outer part of the square
   I thought the over-the-shoulder perspective in 3. was effective in replicating the lively atmosphere of the place while still giving a good feel of the building in use. With photograph 2. I concentrated mainly on colour but also the sense of space within the building with the glass roof present at the top of the photograph. As far as showing the street performers in the context of the square, 1. and 4. depict how packed and well-used the square was both in the inner square (1.) and the outer square (4.).

No comments:

Post a Comment