Tuesday 24 July 2012

'The King Alfred'

While researching non-architectural photography of buildings I found an (architectural) photograph of 'The King Alfred' by Simon Carruthers in the book 'Basics Creative Photography O2, Context and Narrative' by Maria Short. The reference for this is: S. Carruthers, The King Alfred, [Photograph]. In M. Short (2011), Basics Creative Photography O2, Context and Narrative, Lausanne: AVA Publishing SA, pages 92-93.

   Although the photograph (and photographs I later found on the Internet-
(http://simoncarruthers.org.uk/portfolio/king-alfred/, accessed on 10 July 2012) were mostly architectural and so weren't the type of photograph I was strictly looking for, I read a statement by Simon Carruthers that optimised what I had been coming to the conclusion of with my research. The quote was: 'My aim is to produce striking images to grab the attention but once I have your attention then it is time for the meaning of the work to come through.' -S. Carruthers, The King Alfred, [Photograph]. In M. Short (2011), Basics Creative Photography O2, Context and Narrative, Lausanne: AVA Publishing SA, page 92.

   My impressions of photographing buildings in use for the course were pretty much summed up by that one quote. Therefore I made a note of it and was quite confident it would come in useful as I went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment